Monday, June 22, 2009

Mia's Vaulting Lesson

Summer is suppose to be full of fun and adventure, but our summers usually just consist of a lot of whining and arguing. This summer I was determined to change that awful pattern and get all of the kids involved in something. Mia was the first to start, last Wednesday she had her very first Vaulting Lesson. I know, what is vaulting, well I will explain it as best as I can, gymnastics on horse back. As you will see in the photos below the children ride on a special saddle and perform various different poses which they must maintain for 4 counts( once she has more experience). The whole idea behind starting her out with these type of lessons is to help familiarize her with the horse and its movement. It is also suppose to help her to anticipate the animals moves, and make her more comfortable with mounting and dismounting. Mia had a blast, so much so that we signed her up for Horse Camp. Today, Monday the 22nd, was her first day. 5 hours of riding, vaulting, grooming, and learning about how to saddle them, she came home even more excited then when she left. I really think that we found Mia's thing, she was so happy that her horse, pony, for the day was Belle. She was able to take care of her, brush, feed, and saddle with help, and can hardly wait to go back tomorrow! They are having an awards ceremony, and demonstration of what they learned this week on Friday, I will try and figure out how to add a video so that you may all see her in action.